30 July 2012

Today is the day.

Today is July 30th.

Today is the day several months revolved around: the day I would leave Italy again.

I've blogged a lot about my life decisions, revelations, and changes here, so I figured why not add a few more? And so the story begins:

My Fulbright year could be defined in many ways, but as I reflected the most fitting word is "challenge," be it referring to both the stand taller with a puffed chest type and the "am-I-ever-going-to-get-through-this?" moments. There was challenge everywhere. Challenge in my work. Challenge in my personal life. Challenge in my path to know myself. Challenge in living on another continent. I realized, maybe later than some or just in a different way, that growing up is hard. There are lots of things to do, many more than could ever be done in one lifetime, and so with that comes priorities and hard life choices. And that became my biggest challenge.

Among the series of challenges I fell into or created for myself, I started to doubt the plans I had set. Who knows why, but it was like a slow developing bacteria. A serious talk with a friend, a family member, or an acquaintance now and then grew in number and emotion. Soon attacks came more frequently and were stronger. My resolve strengthened and imploded on itself so often that I started to doubt my whole person and that, above all, made me unhappy. The only thing I could gather was that something had to change. So I took off the cruise control and pulled off the road to look at the map. My route had to change.

So then in May I emailed the professor at Western Washington University and informed her that I would no longer be attending the Experimental Psychology program. It was one of the hardest decisions I've made to date because it meant saying goodbye to something I still found interest in, but just wasn't a priority. The fear of making the "wrong" decision filled me with anxiety because WWU was an atmosphere and a setting that I wanted, that I had worked towards. Alas, I had found in my reflection more of a desire to add to community planning or policy change than I did to grow within an academic environment. Some work here in Florence with a conference called Diversi. E Allora? (Different. So what?) really enlightened that area inside my consciousness.

After that, I realized that I had to get to work. I have student loans to pay, after all. Which brings us to another more humiliating thing to admit: after all of this time, my project still isn't done. I got lost in theory. I made my life harder. I stumbled over my ideas and got discouraged instead of cleaning them up. I wanted so much and then didn't know how to ask for help. I could skip out of town or buckle down and make things work. In reflection I realized how much I had learned reading and not, interviewing and not, writing and not. This time with some real help from Gabriele--the person who knows best how to give it to me straight... in the nicest way possible, I recognized how much of a shame to my experience and a general disappointment to myself it would be to not complete a project. Plus I would feel so much better citing things I had learned from a finished product at job interviews.

And so today is the day I didn't leave Italy again. At least for now.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sam, I am currently reading The Sound of Paper by Julia Cameron and I feel the need to tell you how wonderful, impressive, and human you are. I am sure you know this, because of your last few sentences, but do keep on keeping on. Whenever you need a bit of encouragement or inspiration, reach out. The universe WILL respond and guide you and you WILL not only get through this, but surprise even yourself with your success!! I just feel it. MY favorite sentence in this blog post is: "...I took off the cruise control and pulled off the road to look at the map. My route had to change." Please do keep us posted. You are not alone, not by a long-shot!! much love, respect, and encouragement comes with this "brief" comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, your comment means the world to me. Thank you so much the gift of your words and the encouragement I felt from them. I really appreciate it! Super hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep being real and being yourself. I think you are making the best possible decisions for you and opportunities will continue to arise and astound you. Can't wait to see where this decision leads you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammi Girl, I am glad that you are being real to yourself. I know you will continue to be successful with the decisions you made for your life. I love you and will be here for you always. Love from here to there and back again, Mamma Bear xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete